Every year we enjoy to step back in time to wander amongst the Vikings and the Viking Market stalls at the International Viking Market in Ribe.
Ribe Viking Market is Denmark’s most authentic Viking Market. Every spring it attracts several hundred Vikings from all over Scandinavia and Europe. Often even Arab merchants will find their way to Ribe.
In this article you will only find photos from this year’s Viking Market
The Viking Market season in Denmark starts with Ribe Viking Market and of course the Vikings are eager to sell the various kinds of goods they have produced during the cold winter
– of course they are also looking forward to meeting Viking friends
– and keeping up with the latest news and gossip from near and far.
Just as they probably did at Ribe Viking Market during the Viking Age when Ribe was an important international Viking town.
We immerse ourselves in Viking history and keep learning new things about the Vikings’ fascinating world. This year one thing we learned was that this small drill was the Black & Decker of the Viking Age
– and how the Vikings built furnaces of clay and extracted iron
And of course we come home every year with new supplies of bargains like wool yarn in beautiful colours, drinking horns and clay mugs –
– leather, tools, jewellery, kitchen utensils, etc
We enjoy to see how the Viking children learn from the grown ups
– and that new wonderful Viking images will pile up in our camera. We frequently use them on Danhostel Ribe’s website, Danhostel Ribe’s blog and social media (Facebook , Instagram, Twitter, Pinterest).
Next time we write about Vikings in Ribe on this blog www.danhostel.org we might show you some of our lovely Viking Children photos
– or tell you about one of the newest Viking Age theories: that the Viking Age started in Ribe as early as 725 AD and not with a Viking raid to England in 793 AD – or maybe tell you interesting news about the viking excavations that are going on right now (photo) as a continuation of the excavations last year when archaeologists among others found a fully equipped Viking warhorse.
To be the first ones to know, please follow Danhostel Ribe on some of our social media.
Don’t worry if you missed Ribe Viking market this year, there are many other opportunities to get close to the Vikings in Ribe – Denmark’s oldest town – during the year.
- Ribe VikingeCenter – Meet the Vikings and join the activities
- Ribes Vikinger – Museum for Vikingetid og Middelalder – Ribe Viking Museum – Museum for the Viking Age and the Middle Ages
- Viking Ribe in Viking Denmark
- The history of Viking Age in Ribe and a Viking Walk in the present-day Ribe
If you want to know more about Vikings in Ribe and see more Viking photos:
- Viking Sacrifice of horse to Norse Gods at Ribe VikingeCenter, Denmark
- The Viking wise woman was the late Middle Ages witch
- When pagan Vikings in Denmark sold slaves at Viking markets in Ribe – and the buyers were Christians
- Ribe Viking Market – a top event in Denmark (Mostly photos
- 83 great shots from International Viking Market 2015
- Our best photos from Ribe Viking Market 2014
- Rune stone found in Ribe, the oldest town in Denmark
Hope you have enjoyed our photos. Photos: Danhostel Ribe
Please like and share with other Viking freaks.
– And don’t forget to book your room at the hostel in Ribe
© All photos were taken by Danhostel Ribe