Ribe Bike Tours – Storytelling on wheels
A view on bike tours and bike tourism out of the bigger cities.
Explore Ribe and the Wadden Sea National Park – a UNESCO site – by bicycle
Bicycle tours and bike tourism in smaller towns, national parks and rural areas
Being on a bike with wind in your hair while being guided by a great storyteller is incomparable to any other way of visiting a new city. Or area! Oh yes bicycle tours and bike tourism is just as attractive, if not more so, for smaller towns, national parks and rural areas as for cities. Here, we share with you why.
Ribe Bike Tours: Storytelling on Wheels
Being a green yoga‐ & bike‐loving couple we have been involved with bike‐tours in cities all over the world – both as bike tour guests and also as guides: from Shanghai, China to London, UK to Mount Maunganui, New Zealand to Copenhagen, Denmark.
And now Ribe, Denmark’s oldest town, where we this summer launched Ribe Bike Tours offering guided bike tours or “storytelling on wheels”, as we like to say.
Bike Tours without traffic, exhaust fumes and crowds
We’ve always believed that biking in big cities is a great way to be in one with the pulse of the city – and to see more in less time. But this city‐pulse invariably involves traffic, exhaust fumes and crowds – conditions that the ”perfect” bike tour should be without.
And it can be without as we’ve recently discovered. Taking a bike tour in the old town and the surrounding Danish nature of Ribe, conditions suddenly become closer to “perfect”.
See, hear, feel – when exploring by bike in Ribe
In Ribe we have little traffic, kilometers of bike‐lanes, friendly roads and lots of history to explore along the way. Whether visitors are into the establishment of the Vikings, wars of the Middle Ages or following the trail of famous local personalities such as the Danish-American journalist, photographer and philanthropist Jacob A Riis, Ribe has it all. It’s practically a condensed Scandinavian history lesson in one town… And on a bike the lesson can be felt, heard and seen in a couple of hours.
Outstanding Danish West Coast nature and views
On the doorstep of Ribe is pure Danish West Coast nature. There’s even more to explore here: Pedaling through this amazing West Coast landscape we enjoy as well the rich animal life; forests as flat marsh land.
Galgebakkerne (the Gallows Hill) where Riberret (the tough Ribe Law) was ”manifested” through witch-burning and other horrors.
From Kammerslusen lock by the Ribe Dike – which has worked as coastal protection and has protected Ribe and its historic treasures from flooding since the beginning of the 1900’s – you have an outstanding view over the UNESCO Wadden Sea outside the dikes and over the Ribe March Wadden Sea National Park all the way to Ribe’s red roof tops and its soaring Cathedral inside the dikes.
In fact many of these spots out of Ribe can only be reached by private car or bike – for example Bicycle rental through Ribe Danhostel.
Visitors want authenticity
In terms of what visitors want, we are seeing people preferring less “cookie-cutter” mass tourism with big groups on busses just stopping to take a photo to more authentic, personal, unusual and fun ways of exploring, learning and doing.
Something bike tours can offer and which is what we want Ribe Bike Tours to offer. We make the very famous, the less famous and the very worthy stories come alive for visitors and cycling enthusiasts. We share the beauty of Danish nature, Danish history and Danish “green” bike mentality. A mentality that most people take for granted also exists outside of Denmark’s capital, Copenhagen.
“Come bike with us in and around Ribe where we can promise visitors clean air, almost empty roads and a positive green experience with biking!”
Xx Line & Leon
- Line Fricke from Ribe, Danmark and Leon Walker from Mt Maunganui, New Zealand
- Line is Master in Social Science Service Management and Leon is Bachelor of Commerce – International Business
- Both have worked and lived in Shanghai, China the last 4 years
- Line is also a yoga teacher in Ribe and blogs about yoga, travel and life at ShantiHabits.com
- Leon enjoys talking about the stock market and kite surfing on the windy West Coast
- The main languages on a guided bike tour with Ribe Bike Tours is Danish, Swedish and English but even a tour with some Chinese can be arranged
- Visit Denmark. Denmark’s cycle routes: Vikings and the Wadden Sea
- Bed and Bike – Certified Bed+Bike members in Southern Jutland
- Bed and Bike – North Sea Cycle Route in Denmark
- Sustainable Tourism in the Wadden Sea World Heritage Destination – Practice examples: Sustainable Tourism in the Wadden Sea
- Sustainable accommodation. Danhostel Ribe is the only eco-labeled accomodation in Ribe and in all the Danish part of the Wadden Sea National Park (Flower, Swan or Green Key) : Green Key International or Green Key Denmark